Wednesday, September 26, 2012

This is as crafty as it gets around here.


 Yep, with a little help from Hobby Lobby, I made that.

I got the idea from 52Mantels (this one in particular)... I love that prayer. Simple and relevant to all seasons, but especially fall.

So first I nosed around Google until I found a suitable frame for the quote (I searched for "baroque frame vector," I think). This one was a free preview that I blew up in MS Publisher. I suppose I could have paid for one that would have printed at a little higher resolution, but it's going up on the mantel and didn't really print that pixellated after I turned it into a PDF.

I typed up the quote (using "Monoment" from DaFont.com and "Baskerville Old Face" for the credit), centered everything, and printed it out on grayish mottled cardstock.

Then I checked the trusty Hobby Lobby website to make sure that what I wanted was on sale... sho nuff, frames and scrapbook paper were half price and 30% off, respectively.


 While the frame was easy to pick out - I'd seen it last week and liked it - trying to find suitable scrapbook paper was not as simple. I'd like to point out that, being a non-crafter and all, I know next to nothing about scrapbooking. So is Thanksgiving a not-often-scrapbooked holiday or what? There was hardly anything fall-related except for Halloween (and all those were ridiculously cute and made me want to start getting on board the crazy scrapbook train like, yesterday).

Anyway, as you can see from the above photos, I chose this two-sided page because I wasn't sure what would look good with the cardstock. I ended up going with the yellow stripe because the swirls on the frame kind of blended in with the floral pattern.

So yeah. I cut the paper to size, cut out the quote (leaving a little white space all the way around), glued it down on the scrapbook page, and stuck it in the frame. I'm really happy with it and looking forward to finding something else I can put in there for Christmas.

I feel like this was an extra long entry for something that didn't really require it. Anyway... go out there and make one of your own. If I can do it, anyone can. I'll post pictures of the completed fall mantel soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment