Monday, September 24, 2012

How to Paint a Chevron Pattern on a Pumpkin: An Illustrated Guide


1. Get the necessary supplies: masking tape, ruler, pencil, paint color of your choice, paint brush, and of course, a pumpkin.


2. Measure out your chevrons and mark with pencil dots. Mine were two inches long and 2 and 1/4 inches apart. Tape those suckers off. Looks good so far!

3. Attempt to recreate an even row for the next section. Realize it looks awful and the tape isn't really sticking anyway.


4. Tear all the tape off.


5. Start over using clear packing tape. Measure each piece first and then assemble it before placing it on the pumpkin. Congratulate yourself on figuring this out.

6. This stupid tape doesn't stick either and the little structure doesn't account for a round surface. Discard tape; bang head on kitchen table.


7. Take a deep breath. Remember where your strengths lie - painting - and go on dafont.com to chose a nice script initial to paint on the pumpkin instead of f***ing with tape and all that bulls**t.


8. Oh, good. Your paintbrush is old and terrible and silver paint doesn't really show up that well on a white pumpkin.


9. Wipe the paint off the stupid pumpkin and take it outside to be with its friends in its natural state. Vow never to craft again.

2 comments:

  1. Ha!!! This is awesome :) I was going to paint one of my faux pumpkins with chevron but after what a PITA my big chevron painting was I decided it wasn't worth it. I like your au naturale pumpkins much better anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nightmare! I am so bad at this kind of stuff. I can draw realistic portraits and paint furniture and other such things, but crafting totally eludes me and always has.

    I will be finishing up my fall decor tonight... can't wait to see how it looks. I got these huge ceramic jack-o-lanterns from Lowe's last year for like $10 each and need to pick up some fake candles to put in them.

    ReplyDelete